Health ministers from ASEAN member states convened a teleconference on September 19 seeking ways to combat Zika virus, which has hit many parts of Southeast Asia.
As of September 19, seven out of 10 ASEAN countries recorded Zika infections, except for Laos, Brunei and Myanmar.
|(Photo for illustration)|
Thailand and Myanmar reported the viral disease in 1954 and 1969, respectively, but it was yet to erupt into outbreak. Since 2012, the number of cases in 13 Thai cities and provinces has surged to 314.
Since late August, 369 Singaporeans have contracted the virus.
As of September 16 in Vietnam, three people in Ho Chi Minh City, the central provinces of Khanh Hoa and Phu Yen were found to be positive to the virus, with two samples of virus belonging to the Asian and American lineage.
The Vietnamese health ministry forecast that more cases of infection are likely to be reported in the country in the near future.
Speaking at the event, Health Minister Nguyen Thi Kim Tien said Vietnam has raised public awareness of Zika prevention, especially at international airports and border gates, as well as called for global financial aid in the fight.
Concluding the event, participants issued a joint statement detailing joint cooperation in increasing monitoring efforts in each member country, improving information exchange, surveillance and countermeasures, as well as mosquito control and management of larvae breeding grounds.
- Health sector makes three changes to anti-COVID-19 strategy
- Chinese vaccines help countries battle COVID
- How one city missed warning after warning until its health system collapsed
- Chinese vaccines bring relief in global COVID-19 battle
- Lockdown fury sparks a THIRD night of violence in Holland, with hundreds of protesters looting shops, torching cars and battling police
- Nanda: Developing countries face enormous hurdles in battling COVID-19
- Bengal govt's health scheme a hoax: Rajib Banerjee
- UK strain only variant of Covid19 in India, says Health secretary
- Battle royale on lockdown as Boris faces Tory demands to drop ALL curbs by MAY when over-50s are vaccinated - but Prof Lockdown's modelling team warns even a slower easing means 130,000 more deaths and the NHS could be swamped again
- Battle to get home to Britain: Britons dash for last flights home from Dubai before 1pm travel ban comes in TODAY - but some holidaymakers try to fool border controls by flying via the EU while others joke 'we'll just have to stay in sun'
- Pills and sprays to replace Covid jabs: Vaccine tsar Kate Bingham says needles will be phased out in battle against mutating virus - and reveals she 'broke Dry January with glass of wine' when she heard UK-made Novavax passed trials with 90% success rate
- Britain salutes Captain Tom: Nation takes to doorsteps to pay tribute to fundraising hero who lost his own battle with Covid yesterday aged 100, as Boris backs campaign for statue in his honour
ASEAN health ministers battle with Zika in teleconference have 456 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at June 12, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.