An Australian veteran who lost a leg has arrived in Ho Chi Minh City on a bicycle ride from Hanoi to Sydney to support fellow veterans who suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder. Laurie “Truck” Sam, 67, served with the Special Air Service Regiment in Vietnam in 1970 before losing a leg in a parachute accident in 1995, according to a press release by the Australian Consulate in HCMC. He left Hanoi on May 12 and aims to finish the 10,000km ride, which he calls “The Longest Ride Home”, at Sydney Opera House on November 20. So far he’s pedalled 2,500 km “through the steamy jungles and paddy fields of Vietnam in intense wet season humidity dodging potholes, motorcycles, buffalos and lumbering lorries,” the release said. He will leave HCMC for Bangkok on June 23, this time joined by other SAS veterans. A world champion parachutist, Truck was awarded Australia’s Star of Courage in 2001 for saving his tandem parachute student in the 1995 accident. After learning to walk with a prosthetic leg he led two trekking expeditions in Thailand and has completed charity bike rides around Asia, especially in Vietnam. He said he set his sights on “the long ride…
- Real Reason Behind Sudeep's Random Bike Rides Revealed; His Words Will Bring Tears To You Eyes!
- Pierce Brosnan, 66, enjoys a bike ride with wife Keely Shay Smith, 56, before striking a pose next to a classic car
- Inside Joe Sugg and Dianne Buswell's festive trip Down Under: Strictly couple enjoy sunset bike rides, wildlife encounters and a romantic Christmas Eve on the beach
- Macron Expresses Support for Victims of Stabbing Attack in Paris' Villejuif Suburb
- Tennis Australia announces charity match to support bushfire relief
- Wounded soldiers to embark on 101-mile bike ride
- Kendall Jenner and Ben Simmons Go on a Bike Ride Date
- Reports Say Smoke From Australian Bushfires Reaches New Zealand - Photo, Video
- Massive currents of smoke from Australian fires reach New Zealand
- NSW volcano victims remembered at service
Australian amputee reaches HCMC in 10,000km charity bike ride to support PTSD victims have 342 words, post on at June 22, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.