By Jesse Reed
Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson reportedly views the San Francisco 49ers and Cleveland Browns on the same level and is “equally interested” in both jobs, according to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.
This report is somewhat of a surprise, especially in light of another report that came out Friday night, via Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News, that suggested Jackson was the “front-runner” to land the job in San Francisco. Kawakami also reported that the 49ers expect Jackson to say yes when the inevitable offer comes down the pike.
“The source said that all signs point to the 49ers picking Jackson for their vacancy, as long as the interview goes well, and the 49ers are under the impression that Jackson will accept it,” Kawakami wrote.
This isn’t the case, however, according to Cabot’s source, who says Jackson “has both teams on a level playing field heading into Sunday.”
One of the hottest names on the circuit these days, Jackson has made a name for himself as an offensive-minded coach who knows how to get the most out of his quarterbacks.
His work with Andy Dalton this year transformed the currently injured quarterback into one of the league’s most dangerous passers.
Cleveland and San Francisco both need help building their offenses, not to mention a change in attitude. Jackson’s energy and no-nonsense approach would certainly help both franchises immensely.
Both teams also are in a position to either take a gamble with controversial quarterbacks already on the roster (Colin Kaepernick and Johnny Manziel) or start from scratch with rookies.
The offensive coordinator has interviews with the 49ers and Browns Sunday. It’s going to be interesting to see how things shake out. Both franchises are known for their dysfunction, though historically the 49ers are among the league’s elite.
We’ll find out soon enough if Jackson favors one over the other, or if both teams are just smokescreens for another, yet to be determined target.
More from Sportsnaut:
- WATCH: Ben Roethlisberger carted to locker room as fans throw water bottles
- Jeremy Maclin to have MRI on right knee
- 10 worst QB performances in NFL playoffs history
- Former Browns assistant Bob Wylie attributes offense's 2018 success not to Freddie Kitchens, but another coach
- Tom Brady wanted Antonio Brown to stay and was unhappy when Patriots cut receiver, per report
- FMIA Week 12: Why Dominant, Deep 49ers Might Be NFL’s Scariest Team
- FMIA Week 14: How George Kittle and the ‘Choice’ Route Helped Lift 49ers Over Saints in the Game of the Year
- FMIA Week 17: 49ers’ Thrilling Win vs. Seahawks Sets Table for NFL Playoffs
- FMIA Super Bowl LIV: How the Chiefs ‘Put the Stinger’ in the 49ers and The Backstory on 2-3 Jet Chip Wasp
- NFL 2020: Here's what each NFC team must do to dethrone the 49ers as conference champions
- Kevin Stefanski's Browns 2020 coaching staff tracker: Who's in, who's out, what to know about every coach
- Browns hire former 49ers assistant coach Joe Woods to be the team's new defensive coordinator, per report
- NFL free agency 2020: Eagles reportedly after Chiefs' Demarcus Robinson; here are other WRs they could target
- Antonio Brown rules out XFL, dishes on Brady, Roethlisberger, Smith-Schuster, and reveals his plan for 2020
- Antonio Brown opens up about Ben Roethlisberger, JuJu Smith-Schuster, provides another apology and update
Report: Hue Jackson ‘equally interested’ in 49ers and Browns have 545 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 9, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.