1. Celebrations marked Vietnam’s 70th National Day and 40th Reunification Day
Parades and meetings took place in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City to mark Vietnam’s 70th National Day on September 2nd, and Vietnam’s 40th Reunification Day on April 30th. Celebrations highlighted the historical significance and importance of the August Revolution’s victory, the establishment of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam, now the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, and the 1975 Spring Victory, which reunited Vietnam.
2. Party congresses at all levels held
Party congresses were held nationwide in preparation for the upcoming 12th National Party Congress. All the congresses were successful thanks to the Party’s concerted efforts in promoting and reforming Party building activities, agreed at the 11th National Party Congress. This will lay a firm foundation for the upcoming 12th National Party Congress, scheduled for late January, 2016.
3. Various external activities held
2015 saw exciting external activities of Vietnam. Party leader Nguyen Phu Trong visited the United States at the invitation of President Barack Obama. This is the first visit made by Vietnam’s Party General Secretary to the US. Exciting external activities of the Party and State and people-to-people diplomacy have improved Vietnam’s relations with other countries, helping to protect Vietnam’s national interests and boost its international integration.
4. 132nd Inter-Parliamentary Union’s General Assembly held
More than 1600 delegates of 60 IPU member parliaments, observers, and international organizations attended the Inter-Parliamentary Union’s (IPU) 132nd General Assembly, hosted this year Vietnam. The event’s most important achievement was the Hanoi Declaration “Sustainable Development Goals: turning words into actions”. The Declaration represents the aspirations and commitments of the IPU and its member parliaments in promoting the UN sustainable development goals until 2030.
5. Vietnam signed important trade agreements with partners
Vietnam signed Free Trade Agreements with the Republic of Korea, the Eurasian Economic Union and the European Union and concluded negotiations on the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement. Those new-generation free trade agreements are expected to give a boost to the Vietnamese economy and Vietnam’s international economic integration.
6. Major national complexes inaugurated
Generator 1 of the Lai Chau hydro power plant with a capacity of 400 MW began operating in December, one year ahead of schedule. In 2015, a number of important transportation projects were completed and put into operation. They included the Hanoi-Hai Phong express way, Nhat Tan bridge, Terminal 2 of Noi Bai International Airport, and a highway connecting Ho Chi Minh City-Long Thanh- Dau Giay with Ben Tre and Tra Vinh province. These projects have upgraded Vietnam’s infrastructure to serve national socio-economic development.
7. Vietnam achieves a GDP growth rate of 6.68%, the highest rate in 8 years.
Vietnam achieved a GDP growth rate of 6.68% and higher budget collection in 2015.Vietnam’s Consumer Price Index (CPI) rose 0.63 points, the smallest increase in 14 years. Achievements in increasing the GPP and controlling inflation were attributed to the Government’s management.
8. Vietnam fulfills MDGs
According to the UNDP, Vietnam basically fulfilled its Millennium Development Goals: the poverty rate was sharply reduced, the primary schooling rate reached 99% and the maternal mortality rate was reduced 75%. Vietnam achieved 5 out of 8 MDGs ahead of schedule. Vietnam is accelerating efforts toward targets related to promoting environmental sustainability, improving child malnutrition, and preventing and controlling HIV/AIDS.
9. Major change made to national upper-secondary examination
In 2015, for the first time, a high mark on a student’s final upper-secondary examination was accepted as a substitute for a qualifying mark on the entrance exams for colleges and universities. The change reduced pressures, costs and tension for teachers, students and parents. The examination provided lessons for the Ministry of Education and Training to organize more effective examinations.
10. Unjust imprisonment of Nguyen Thanh Chan and Huynh Van Nen revoked
Mistakes and irresponsibility in the investigation, prosecution, and judgment leading to the unjust imprisonment of Mr. Nguyen Van Chan and Huynh Van Nen called for improvements to Vietnam’s criminal procedures. The Criminal Procedures Code adopted at the 10th session of the 13th National Assembly requires all interrogations to be recorded.
- Special ‘Dambusters’ event at Porthcawl Museum tomorrow, Saturday August 11
- Jade Goody documentary to mark 10 years since reality TV star’s death
- The True Cost of Denial: Misconceptions about Domestic Violence Persist in Iceland
- All-female judging panel selected for major North East business awards
- 10 young stars to watch in the top European leagues this season
- 10 of the best food and drink events to try this autumn
- Plymouth selected as host city of British Art Show 9
- Ireland event great experience for Green
- Some 60pc of accidental poisonings involve children under 10
- Plus-size model Tabria Majors unleashes curves in lacy lingerie
- All You Need to Know About Soyuz MS-10 Crew That Emergency Landed in Kazakhstan
- Give A Solid Support to Your Business with The Gala Event Management
10 major domestic events of 2015 selected by VOV have 796 words, post on english.vov.vn at January 1, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.