Over 1,000 time-honored objects and specimens retrieved from sea wreckage are being displayed in a newly inaugurated exhibition hall in the central province of Quang Nam.
The People’s Committee of Hoi An City, home to the UNESCO-recognized Hoi An Ancient Town, on Saturday opened the hall, housed in a storm shelter structure in Tan Hiep Commune.
The space is dedicated to preserving and displaying articles scooped up from shipwrecks off Cu Lao Cham Island, 15km off the province’s coast, and its neighboring waters.
The island is also one of the province’s tourist attractions.
Several wrecked ships loaded with antiques of various types have been discovered in the waters surrounding the island in the past few years.
A display featuring nearly 1,100 such prized artifacts is ongoing in the hall.
Highlights include approximately 500 elaborately crafted antique objects such as cooking and eating utensils and containers, as well as wood planks as part of the shipwrecks.
Nearly 600 specimens of artifacts dating back to the 13th century and collected during the excavation of the Binh Chau 2 wreck – one of the country’s aquatic archeology breakthroughs – are also on view.
The articles, including enameled bowls and plates and adhesives, were excavated in 2012 off Binh Chau Commune, located in Binh Son District in Quang Ngai Province, which neighbors Quang Nam.
The recovery of the 700-year-old shipwreck marks a momentous milestone in the development of Vietnam’s archeology regarding excavation approaches and sheds new light on the historic “Sea Silk Road.”
The exhibition organizers are also displaying a map collection themed “Truong Sa, Hoang Sa – Vietnam’s Seas and Islands” in coordination with the Hoi An Center for Cultural Heritage Management and Preservation to better promote the country’s sea sovereignty among locals and expats alike.
- Headlamps shine on a 600-year-old seafood market in central Vietnam
- 'Sky gate' links central Vietnam provinces
- Third Dalat Ultra Trail Int’l Marathon to take place later this month
- 10th Vietnam International Retailtech & Franchise Show to take place
- Vietnam by night, an aerial view
- Eking out a living as pig porters in Vietnam
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 10
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 13
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 12
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 8
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 14
- VIETNAM'S BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES JULY 20
Exhibition dedicated to shipwreck artifacts taking place in central Vietnam have 395 words, post on at September 13, 2015. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.