Barbara VanDenburgh USA TODAY
Published 4:14 PM EDT Mar 13, 2019
Rosie O’Donnell has revealed she was sexually abused by her father.
The actress, comedienne, TV host, author and activist has long been candid about her personal life, sexual orientation, political affiliations and difficult childhood.
Now, she’s ready to share more.
According to reporting from Variety, O’Donnell, 56, has revealed she was abused by her father, Edward Joseph O’Donnell, in the new book “Ladies Who Punch: The Explosive Inside Story of ‘The View,’” written by Variety’s New York bureau chief Ramin Setoodeh.
“It started very young,” O’Donnell told Setoodeh. “And then when my mother died, it sort of ended in a weird way, because then he was with these five children to take care of. On the whole, it’s not something I like to talk about. Of course, it changes everyone. Any child who is put in that position, especially by someone in the family, you feel completely powerless and stuck, because the person you would tell is the person doing it.”
O’Donnell has opened up before about her difficult relationship with her father. In a 2012 interview with Piers Morgan, she said, “He had his own issues and demons. He had a very tough childhood, he had an alcoholic, abusive father and never really got the help that I think every person needs when they have lived through that as a child.”
O’Donnell’s mother, Roseann Teresa O’Donnell, died in 1973, four days before O’Donnell’s 11th birthday. Her father died of cancer in 2015 at the age of 81.
“Ladies Who Punch: The Explosive Inside Story of ‘The View’” is published by St. Martin’s Press and goes on sale April 2.
- New book reveals dark secrets of Japanese love life
- EXCLUSIVE: From pill-popping defiant outlaw to ordained minister: How Johnny Cash developed a 100-uppers-a-day habit and slept with wife June Carter's sister - before turning to a life of faith, new book reveals
- Child sexual abuse prevention needs to go beyond empty slogans
- Transgender man reveals how he was sexually abused at the age of 8 by a teenage male babysitter he looked up to when he was confused about his gender
- Weeping woman, 30, screams 'I'm not a beast' from the dock as she is found guilty of sexually abusing two young children for more than two years starting when they were just five and three
- Matt Lauer is seen for the first time with family members and his dog since Brooke Nevils' rape claim in Ronan Farrow's new book
- Lehigh County priest removed from ministry following allegations of sexually abusing a minor
- Princess Madeleine of Sweden pens her first book for a child sexual abuse charity - teaching youngsters ‘to tell someone when something doesn’t feel right’
- Ronan Farrow’s new book should be a wake-up call to DC
- A new book looks at the history of Ireland
- Where did Princess Margaret get £20m and how about the Queen mother's £70m legacy? In his controversial new book, MP Norman Baker examines the family's finances as he accuses the Windsors of Right Royal Robbery
- California Surgeon General calls on schools to screen for childhood traumas such as sexual abuse or divorcing parents - linked to lifelong health problems and higher suicide rates
Rosie O’Donnell was sexually abused by her father, new book reveals have 537 words, post on eu.usatoday.com at August 24, 2015. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.