SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) Cuba won its first Caribbean Series championship since 1960 with a 3-2 victory over Mexico on Sunday, highlighted by Yulieski Gourriel’s eighth inning homer.
The victory marked a return for Cuba to its winning ways in the regional baseball series it used to dominate before Cuban stars were barred by its government in 1961 from playing professionally overseas. Cuba returned to the round-robin tournament last year but made a quick exit.
Cuba out-hit Mexico 11-4 on the way to this year’s title, a day after dominating Venezuela 8-4 for a shot at the championship played this year in the U.S. Caribbean territory of Puerto Rico.
It was the first time that top Cuban players got a chance to compete on the U.S. island since Cuba and the United States moved to normalize relations. Dozens of major league scouts traveled to the Caribbean Series almost exclusively to assess Cuban talent.
Cuban starter Yosvani Torres was dominant for six innings on Sunday night, striking out five. Frederich Cepeda had a two-out RBI single, scoring Gourriel, in the first to give Cuba the early lead.
They went up 2-0 in the second inning when Luis Yander singled in a run.
Mexico pulled within a run in the fifth after Joey Meneses led off the inning with a double. He scored on a single by Walter Ibarra.
Cuba scored again in the eighth inning when Gourriel led off with a homer to left.
But Mexico, looking for its third consecutive title in the regional series, wasn’t done yet.
In the bottom of the eighth, Eric Farris hit a two-out RBI single to right to make it 3-2 but Meneses flied out to right to end the inning.
”The Cuban team gave themselves more opportunities than we did offensively,” Mexico Manager Benjamin Gil said.
Cuba’s Cepeda, a 34-year-old outfielder who played in Japan last year, was selected tournament MVP. He went 6 for 8 during the team’s last two games and drove in six runs.
It’s the eighth time Cuba has taken the title at the Caribbean Series, which it won seven times between 1949 and 1960.
Two Cuban players defected in Puerto Rico early in this year’s tournament.
- New Zealand vs India 1st ODI Highlights: Ross Taylor Guides New Zealand To Four-Wicket Win vs India
- Marnus Labuschagne century can't stop South Africa from beating Australia by six wickets in third ODI
- CPL 2018: Khary Pierre, Colin Munro Star As Trinbago Knight Riders Beat Guyana Amazon Warriors To Clinch Third Title
- Mitchell Marsh, David Warner Star as Australia Beat New Zealand by 71 Runs in 1st ODI at Empty SCG
- Dancing On Ice FINAL: Joe Swash and Alex Murphy WIN skating show... beating dancer Perri Kiely and Vanessa Bauer (despite Christopher Dean branding their Boléro the best he's EVER seen) and Paralympian Libby Clegg and Mark Hanretty
- West Indies vs England, 1st Test: Chase takes eight to wrap up crushing Windies victory
- "Phenomenon" Cristiano Ronaldo Stretches Torino's 24-Year Wait For Win At Juventus
- 1st ODI: Kris Srikkanth Wants Hardik Pandya At 6, Ravindra Jadeja at 7
- Afghanistan vs Ireland, 1st T20I: Zadran and Rashid give Afghans 11-run DLS victory in Greater Noida
- 1st ODI: Australia beat New Zealand by 71 runs in empty SCG
- Sarkar, Liton fifties fire Bangladesh to easy win
- Coronavirus forces empty stadium matches in Champions League, Europa League, Serie A, La Liga and more
Cuba beats Mexico 3-2 to win 1st Caribbean Series since 1960 have 561 words, post on www.foxsports.com at February 8, 2015. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.