GIBRALTAR (AP) — With a firefighter in goal, a customs agent anchoring the defense, a police officer and store worker roaming the midfield and a gym teacher on the attack, the best players from this rocky, 2.6-square mile territory will take on the world champions from Germany. European soccer qualifiers often feature mammoth mismatches, as “minnows” such as San Marino and Malta take on world powers including England, Spain and Italy. But Friday’s match might be one of the biggest underdog stories ever, with UEFA’s newest and smallest member trying to avoid humiliation against the team that won the World Cup just four months ago. “They are 10 worlds apart from us,” Gibraltar captain and customs officer Roy Chipolina said. “But it’s something I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren.” Germany embarrassed World Cup host Brazil, full of some of the top players in the world, with a 7-1 victory in the World Cup semifinals. And the Germans say they won’t take it easy on Gibraltar in Nuremberg, wanting to stay on track to qualify for the European championship. Goal differential can sometimes come in to play as a tiebreaker, so even if the outcome is decided, the wave of… Read full this story
- WORLD CUP: West Germans beat Hungary in ‘Miracle of Bern’
- Jeff Van Gundy has Americans on brink of World Cup berth
- USWNT, England set for World Cup semi showdown
- 2026 World Cup awarded to USA, Mexico, Canada
- Is FIBA’s decision to move World Cup to year before Olympics reason for USA drop outs?
- New Zealand's Steve Hansen 'happy' to avoid Japan's bold hearts and free running in World Cup quarter-finals
- Rugby World Cup 2019 tactical guides: Revamped All Blacks chase three from three
- How Japan persisted with a brutal training routine to become the fittest team of the 2019 Rugby World Cup
- U.S. U-20s lose to Ecuador in World Cup quarters
- Ecuador tops Italy to secure third place in U-20 World Cup
The greatest mismatch in soccer history? Tiny Gibraltar faces World Cup champion Germany in Euro qualifier on Friday have 343 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at November 12, 2014. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.