In the weeks since his State of the Union, President Barack Obama has issued a series of executive orders designed to stem a tide of growing economic and racial inequality that threatens to undermine the fabric of American society. Obama’s efforts to pivot the political narrative toward a focus on economic injustice reflects the fact that, despite his winning two national elections and saving Wall Street and the U.S. economy from the depths of the Great Recession, our national economy no longer works for tens of millions of poor, working- and middle-class families. The Obama administration’s stewardship of the nation’s economic recovery favored Wall Street over Main Street and banks over homeowners. The administration also realized, too late, that corporate capital preferred to sit on trillions in profits and reserves rather than invest in the economy. Faced with a dysfunctional and highly partisan Republican-controlled House of Representatives, the administration’s new approach—what might be called Obama 2.0—is an attempt to utilize muscular executive action to make inroads on pressing issues of employment, immigration and racial justice for black youths. This month the president ordered the Labor Department to revamp rules that shortchange millions of low-income wage earners out of overtime pay…. Read full this story
- Biden announces 2nd term in office before winning the 1st one
- Bury St Edmunds choir singer, 10, goes solo for Wembley gigs
- Obama sent an aide to talk Biden out running for president in 2016
- The best quotes from Michelle Obama's Becoming
- Twitter Toxic as Trump Knocks ‘Fake News’ Page Choice for Ex Obama Lawyer Story
- Merkel Warmly Welcomes Obama for Closed-Door Meeting in Berlin
- Michelle Obama refuses to mention Donald Trump by name at London book launch
- Warren’s ‘Just Marry One Woman’ Response to Gay Marriage Question Goes Viral
- Daddy's girl: Why Joanne McNally goes for 'boy-dad' types
- Anything Goes for Studio 32!
Obama Goes Solo in His 2nd Term have 324 words, post on www.theroot.com at March 19, 2014. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.