Japanese dancer Mikiko Kawamura brings Alphard to Hanoi
By My Tran in HCMC
Mikiko Kawamura will arrive in Hanoi to perform a short contemporary dance piece ‘Alphard’ on September 26 and 27 at the Youth Theatre (11 Ngo Thi Nham) in Hanoi.
The piece, which first premiered in Yokohama, Japan last year, is inspired from Alphard’s lonely bright star, standing alone in the position of the snake’s heart in the constellation Hydra. With lighting installations, the young choreographer who is also the dancer divides the stage into nine squares, each with a different musical theme. It is like ‘stepping on the perceptions’.
Alphard expresses the true worth of Kawamura’s excellent physical ability and her choreography skills. This delicate but powerful dance piece will surely inspire Vietnamese audiences in particular, to think about “contemporariness” in dance in an Asian context including Japan.
Admission is free and tickets will be distributed from 2 p.m. today at four cultural institutions: the Japan Foundation at 27 Quang Trung Street, Goethe Institute at 56-58 Nguyen Thai Hoc Street, L’Espace at 24 Tran Tien Street and British Council at 20 Thuy Khue Street in Hanoi.
Born in 1990, Kawamura began street dance aged sixteen. She won the Outstanding New Artist Prize at the Yokohama Dance Collection EX 2011 while she was still a student of Japan Women’s College of Physical Education. After premiering solo work Alphard in February 2012 at the Yokohama Dance collection EX 2012, it was also shown in the Japan Focus program at the Dance Triennale Tokyo 2012 in October 2012, receiving massive attention.
She has been actively presenting her original dance pieces at home and abroad.
- Unique value of young Japanese dancer at Europe meets Asia in contemporary dance 2013
- Europe meets Asia in Contemporary Dance in Hanoi
- EVENTS IN HANOI, HCM CITY ON MARCH 1-15
- Asian artists bring Indian epic to Hanoi stage
- Hiroshi Koike brings Mahabharata to Vietnamese audiences
- Physical theatre "Mahabharata" to open in Hanoi
- Europe and Asia collide in local dance fest
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR SEPT. 15-30 (daily updated)
- Best performance from Europe and Asia
- Europe meets Asia in contemporary dance festival
- WHAT'S ON JANUARY 15-30 (DAILY UPDATE)
Japanese dancer Mikiko Kawamura brings Alphard to Hanoi have 358 words, post on at October 26, 2016. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.