(The Root) — Lowell Hawthorne’s immigrant tale isn’t exactly a secret. In 2003 Black Enterprise magazine named Hawthorne’s Golden Krust Caribbean Bakery and Grill Inc. one of the top 100 black-owned companies in the United States. And when Hawthorne, Golden Krust’s CEO, published a book late last year about his journey from new American to embodiment of the proverbial American dream, newspapers large and small published stories outlining his business struggles and triumphs. He hasn’t exactly lived in the shadows. But the same can’t be said for the other 3.5 million immigrants of African or Caribbean descent in the U.S. In many cases these immigrants are invisible, since they aren’t likely to be the first people who come to mind when most Americans think about the conversation going on in Washington, D.C., about immigration reform. “I probably wouldn’t go so far as to say that the immigrant of African descent has been invisible, and certainly wouldn’t say they’ve been excluded,” says Rep. Yvette Clark, a Democrat representing New York’s 9th District in Congress, an area that includes Brooklyn neighborhoods that are home to hundreds of thousands of African and Caribbean immigrants. “I would say that our interests have been somewhat… Read full this story
- Do 'communication and resolution' malpractice reforms help cut costs?
- How Health Care Reform Helps You
- How Employees Prepare For The Best Buy Black Friday Sale
- Amazon Black Friday 2016: Best Deals, Alexa, App And Everything You Need To Know For Deals Week
- Black Friday 2016 At Target Online Store Sets New Record
- New Black Friday Sales: Staples, Office Depot, Hhgregg, Lowe's And Home Depot
- Black Friday 2016: Fights, Shootings And Violence Blemish Sales Event
- Google Has The Best Black Friday Ad
- GameStop Black Friday In Stores: $99.99 New Nintendo 3DS, Best Deals And Doorbusters
- Black Friday Coupons And Discounts At Neiman Marcus, Macy's, JC Penney And More
Will Reform Help Black Immigrants? have 328 words, post on www.theroot.com at July 17, 2013. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.