The fourth Regional Working Group Meeting of the Lower Mekong Initiative (LMI), co-hosted by the Vietnamese Foreign Ministry and the US Department of State, concluded in Ho Chi Minh City on April 26.
During the two-day event, participants agreed to strengthen links between LMI and the Initiative for ASEAN Integration (IAI) to improve the working efficiency of LMI in narrowing the development gap in the region.
They also reached a consensus on building capacity for Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam (CLMV), accelerating the regional integration process, establishing a regular dialogue mechanism between permanent representatives of CLMV countries and US representatives in ASEAN to determine fields of potential cooperation.
Additionally, they agreed to build draft action plans on energy security, agriculture and food security, which will be included in the 2011-2015 LMI Action Plan. The amended plan will be submitted to the sixth LMI Ministerial Meeting, scheduled for June in Brunei.
Delegates also increase the participation of the private sector and foreign partners in LMI’s cooperation activities and projects. Its website and regional coordination centre will be upgraded to increase information sharing among member nations.
In the near future, LMI’s activities will focus on gender equality and promoting women’s engagement in socio-economic activities.
The meeting reached a consent on implementing cooperation activities like a seminar on bridge and road management this May in Laos, five regional seminars on public-private partnership in infrastructure development for 2014 and 2015, and the second phase of the English language and communication skills training for CLMV countries’ officials.
Concluding the event, a Joint Statement was adopted. The fifth meeting will convene later this year, ahead of the seventh LMI Ministerial Meeting scheduled for 2014 in Myanmar.
- Mekong River Commission (MRC) Announces Laos Intentions to Build “Fourth Dam” on Mekong River
- Mekong Residents Wary of Xayaburi Dam
- U.S., Thailand Launch New Tool to Improve Mekong Air Quality Monitoring
- Cambodian PM Hun Sen meets with UN envoy Heyzer on Myanmar
- Meet ShareChat, the 'No-English' Social Network You've Never Heard About
- Ralph Northam wraps up extraordinary term in office, forged by scandal into a governor of lasting consequence
- Lower Southampton Community Corner News
- Wall Street opening lower led by Goldman, banks
- Asia shares mostly lower as investors mull likely rate hike
- Calf injuries put wrap on Broncos cornerback Pat Surtain II’s impressive rookie season
- A New Way to Lower Bad Cholesterol and Keep it Low for People with Known Heart Disease
- Australian PM Scott Morrison arrives in New Zealand for first post-lockdown meeting
Lower Mekong Initiative meeting wraps up have 406 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at April 27, 2013. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.