Hail stones, some as big as bowls, hit Muong Khuong, Bac Ha and Si Ma Cai districts.
Hoang Huy Dung, Chairman of the Muong Khuong District People’s Committee, said the hailstorm blew off the rooftops of thousands of houses, uprooted trees, and left 16 people injured and admitted to the hospital.
Luu Minh Hai, Director of the Lao Cai Hydro Meteorological Forecast Centre, said that a sudden cold spell has hit several northern provinces which had relatively high temperatures causing whirlwinds and hailstorms in Lao Cai.
Rescue forces have been mobilized to help local residents overcome the aftermath of the hailstorm.
- Border gates in Lao Cai province break trade record
- Exclusive: In Combatting Housing Discrimination, New York City Goes an Unconventional Route
- Hail of a forecast: Climate change means fewer hailstorms but bigger hail
- Vietnamese celebrate Buddhist Vu Lan Festival in Laos, India
- Sunk by our iceberg home: It's the trendy way to expand. But when this couple dug into their basement, their house literally fell apart, sparking a series of ruinous legal battles - and they're still paying a mortgage on a hole in the ground!
- Hundreds of thousands of starving cows die after devastating floods - as a bizarre aid mix-up is blamed for 'the greatest livestock disaster Australia has ever seen'
- Couple living in American Horror Story's Murder House sue the previous owners for $3million because they didn't tell them crowds of obsessive fans constantly show up
- Teslas with a 'mind of their own': Thousands of Model 3 owners describe their close calls with Autopilot in dangerous situations - including a driver who says his car crashed itself into a garage
- Modern Family star Ariel Winter horrified to find dog poo thrown all over her house
- Thousands flee as Typhoon Kammuri churns towards Philippines