Hanoi In this country, where a US military attack echoes more loudly perhaps than anywhere else in the world, protesters against the war are expressing themselves from Hanoi in the north to central Vietnam to Ho Chi Minh City to the Mekong Delta in the south. At Nha Trang, a resonant place-name in our old war, 7,000 people demonstrated against our new one. The chief sentiment is not support for Saddam Hussein but, in light of the Vietnamese experience with the American military, sympathy for the Iraqi people. In Hanoi the government condemned the war as “a gross violation of fundamental principles of international law, including the United Nations charter.” Such language is unexceptional in prosperous countries that look at the United States on an almost equal footing economically. In Vietnam, which desperately needs American trade and is urgently trying to attract US investment, the condemnation is an act of courage. Since the normalization of diplomatic relations less than ten years ago, the Vietnamese have worked hard to be friendly to an often indifferent America, and any criticism of the United States is generally muted. The war against Iraq threatens to unravel the meticulously rebuilt relationship. I was at a… Read full this story
- Sports Vietnam welcomes footballers home as ‘heroes’ in wake of AFC U23 miracle Admiring majestic Bach Ma Range in central Vietnam
- Sports 'Cheesecake' for Iran as China, Korea almost choke at Asian Cup Vietnam's 'incense village' blazes pink ahead of lunar new year
- Sports 'Cheesecake' for Iran as China, Korea almost choke at Asian Cup Simplicity of life in Vietnam
- Sports 'Cheesecake' for Iran as China, Korea almost choke at Asian Cup Vietnam beat Jordan on penalties to reach Asian Cup quarters
- Grab partners with Here for more accurate routing
- Socceroos Asian Cup preview: Australia faced with a massive challenge to defend their crown
Dispatch From Vietnam have 322 words, post on www.thenation.com at March 27, 2003. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.