KUALA LUMPUR–Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on Friday urged Asean countries to pool their resources to fight Internet abuse.
“The misuse of the Internet for propagating and disseminating information detrimental to both national and societal interests is on the rise,” he said in his speech at the 1st Asean Telecommunications Ministers Meeting here.
His speech was delivered by Energy, Communications and Multimedia Minister Leo Moggie. Mahathir said Asean members should set up a regional security center to effectively fight cybercrime and misinformation on the Internet.
“This is especially critical in ensuring adequate checks and balances on issues concerning our national security and identity,” he said.
”The center can play an important role in assessing the e-security readiness of ASEAN member countries and facilitate training and exchange programs for network security enforcement,” Mahathir said.
He said Asean has no choice but to work together to check Internet crimes due to the Internet’s global nature.
”For instance, those responsible for disseminating offensive information on the Net cannot be prosecuted in a particular country if the website is hosted outside its border,” Mahathir added.
He also expressed worries about the spread of “hate information” and pornography on the Internet.
Asean is made up of Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and Cambodia.
- Bill Uhrich's Flashback Friday: Fake telephone calls investigated, raid nets Reading policeman
- POLITICO Playbook PM: Trump’s Greenland whisperer
- White House hits back at Amash after his calls for impeachment
- Knoxville priest and ex-bishop abused altar boy, lawsuit alleges
- G-20 leaders clash over values, face calls to protect growth
- Abuse and neglect in nursing facilities unreported
- Hoosier foster kids file class action suit against DCS
- The Latest: UN says 2 employees hurt in Kosovo police action
- southern baptists-abuse
- NBA fines, suspends Brooklyn Nets GM for entering referee locker room
- Springfield youth action board works to help homeless kids
- Cops: Utah man tried to kill wife, 2 kids after abusing them
M'sian PM calls for Asean action against Net abuse have 310 words, post on www.zdnet.com at July 13, 2001. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.